Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Altec 834a

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jeremyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2006
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,
    One day while browsing craigslist, I was suprised to see Altec 834a's listed. I had never heard of these. I bought them, and recently discovered the High Frequency Att knob falls out of the speakers! I have the knob and a long piece of metal. There is no sound coming out of the horn. Is there any way to fix this problem? Do I need to get a new crossover network? Is there any documentation for these speakers?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jeremyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2006
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    More information on this speaker system - there are two 8 inch 402a speakers in each speaker. There is a small horn, but I do not see any markings as to what type of horn it is. There is not speciefic crossover network (unlike my A7's which are using the 500g network)

    Any help is greatly appreciated. They sound decent with no high range, but I think they'd sound AMAZING if I can get the high range to work.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    These have the 3000B horn IIRC, in which case the diaphragms are probably burned up since the're so fragile. If so, then until recently, common kowledge was that replacements were long gone, but apparently this company has stepped up to fill the void:
    MicroMike Laboratories ?
    1537 West Cris Place
    Anaheim, California 92802
    Telephone: (714) 774-0342
    Attention: Mr. Bill Hayes

    The XOs then would be the 3000B 3 kHz network and unless you can find some worth buying, you'll have to repair/upgrade what you have. At the very least they will probably need new attenuators (pots) and caps also if they haven't been replaced since the originals may be PIO filled with toxic PCB. I'm not familiar with these in detail, but I assume that it's typical of their other networks built well into the '70s, which are textbook 2nd order Butterworths.

    GM

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jeremyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2006
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks. I wound up bringing them to a speaker specialist. Since I have my A7's wide open (I like a bright sound), he simply bipassed the caps. Looks like I got a pretty good deal on these after all. Now I have a7 fronts, the 834a's as rears. I have to find a kick *** center channel.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jeremyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2006
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, one more thing I could use suggestion on. These speakers came with no grills. Any ideas on what I could make to fit these? I can't find any info on this system anywhere!

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    You're welcome!

    That's beyond bright!

    Uh, what's going to protect the horns against overexcursion?

    Well, the obvious is to use a matching A7 if it's a front projection system and if it's a TV, then you can 'fly' it upside down over it, angling it down as required. forums

    Back then, it was common to stretch grillcloth over a frame and screw it to the baffle from the rear and add trim moulding around the perimeter on the front to finish it off. I assume these mouldings are gone so I'd just cut out a false baffle from thin hardboard to stretch the grillcloth over, then secure the assembly with pin brads or double stick carpet tape or similar to the driver baffle.

    I normally used double knit since it's cheap and comes in myriad colors, but for the vintage 'look': http://www.acoustonegrillecloth.com/about.htm#

    GM

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It is someone's luck day. I have a pair of 834a's that I got second hand in Boston, about 1971. Altec repaired the hf drivers. I took a couple of photos of them, one with a close up of the grille fabric. As soon as I am able, I'll get a link for them here.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/levewind

    or someone with better computer skill can copy them the the message board

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    The link is missing an 'L', but I found the pics searching '834A', so your homepage is:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/levelwind/
    and right clicking on the enlarged images and copying their links:
    http://static.flickr.com/86/24455787...ec0574.jpg?v=0
    http://static.flickr.com/88/24455787...18f0e6.jpg?v=0
    or using the 'image' button to view them in this message:
    1?v02?v0

    Anyway, thanks for sharing! They appear to be constructed just as I described.

    GM

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry for the error, and thanks for the help too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.